Thursday, June 3, 2010

...continued hiker's journal...

June 3, 2010, Georgetown, CO
08:19:36 hours, MDT




…continued hiker’s journal…



Memorial Day in Boulder @ the Boulder Bolder was of course refreshing…however I did do something that my metabolism is still paying for. Julie and I at the end of our walking tour of Boulder purchased an ‘eight piece’ baked chicken from the service counter at the Table Mesa King Soopers. My intestines continue to be sluggish attempting to pass the grease and the animal it-self. For the most part the vegetarianism over many weeks and months is suffering. I only suppose that it has to work much harder eating higher on the so-called food chain.

Consequently, my mood is listless and lethargic. My experience has exemplified that eating lower on the food chain w/o so much processed oils and fructose syrups has served to keep my internal mood even… my preference is to try to adhere to this caloric-intake regimen and NOT give-in to the ubiquitous availabilities of processed foods as the so-called ‘convenience’ of American life. This ‘convenience’ is tolling my internal fortitude.

My notion regarding dispassionate friendships has a caveat― this being that the unattached ness or prey to emotional moods will be absent in the maturity of this friendship. The emotional attachments to easy=foods for quick and easy buying in my experience as this notion relates to the topic would be discussable in the mature friendship. Hence the dispassionateness and the verbal and non-verbal cures to NOT buy this sort of thing to satisfy some idea about eating when exhausted. A salad and source of digestible protein would have been much better and USABLE by the metabolism.
Today my intestines removed some of the residue left from Monday’s foray into quick-shop eating. Paying attention does take concerted effort and I’m paying for giving in to the ideas of another whose metabolism is accustomed to customarily eating much higher on the food chain.

Meditations from the Mat, Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison
Day 129

"A hundred times a day I remind myself that my life depends on
the labors or other men, living and dead, and that I must exert
myself in order to give, in measure that I received, and am
still receiving.”
Albert Einstein
“My first spiritual advisor used the phrase “making your bed” to describe the ongoing work of self-care. The eight limbs are a way to make our bed. They are work orders for living well. Having laid out the means for a good life, Pantanjali goes on to define the ends― the purusartha, or four aims of life. Readied for life by our practice, we are able to embrace the purusartha.

“According to the Yoga Sutras, the four aims of life are dharma, artha, kama, and moska. In this instance, dharma is the active observance of spiritual discipline. It is the weaving together of the yamas and the niyamas into a way of life. If dharma is the creation of a life in balance on a spiritual plane, then artha is the creation of a life in balance on the physical plane. Work, family, money―all brought into balance and are in keeping with one’s spiritual values. Kama is enjoyment of the fruits of one’s labors. It is not enough to plant the garden and cultivate it with care; we must set aside time to enjoy it as well. Moska is the final aim of life, liberation. Dharma, artha and kama are our actions; in moska we surrender the fruits of our actions to the universe. We let go of everything and hold onto nothing.

“We are all performing purusartha in our own ways, just as our parents did and our grandparents before them. We do not need yoga in order to work toward a happy, fulfilled life. Yoga simply gives us the outline. The purusartha bring together all the work of this path, while the individual limbs of yoga are the trees. They re like the forest, Use the purusartha as a means to keep sight of the forest as you immerse your self in the trees ahead.”


I get that Kama has been untowardly affected by my reaching into my pockets for a quick buck for a quick meal after a decent activity-day w/ Jules @ the Boulder Bolder. Paying attention to the subtleties of this sort of circumstance will not go unnoticed. Enjoying the so-called garden might have been the creation of TIME to arrange a wholesome meal after the good day exercising on the surface streets there.


No comments:

Post a Comment